- Ph.D.: Boğaziçi University, Ataturk Institute for Modern Turkish History, Istanbul Turkey, 2009- 2015.
Dissertation: “War or Peace? The Dodecanese Islands in Turkish Foreign and Security Policy, 1923-1947.”
- M.A.: Boğaziçi University, Ataturk Institute for Modern Turkish History, Istanbul, Turkey, 2007-2009.
Thesis: “Turkish-Italian Relations in the Interwar Period.”
- B.A.: Boğaziçi University, Political Science & International Relations, Istanbul, Turkey, 2002-2007.
- Assistant Professor: April 2018 – ….: Fenerbahçe University (Istanbul)
- Adjunct Faculty: Fall 2015-…: Istanbul Kultur University (Istanbul)
- Adjunct Faculty: Fall 2016-2018: Galatasaray University (Istanbul)
- Visiting Faculty: Winter 2016-2017: Central European University (Budapest)
- Researcher: May-July 2015: Yale University, The Field Laboratory
- Lecturer & Research Assistant, 2010-2012: Boğaziçi University
- Turkish, Native
- English, Advanced
- Italian, Advanced
- Modern Greek, Upper Intermediate
- Persian, Intermediate
- Ottoman Turkish, Printed Material
PUBLICATIONS AND ACADEMIC CONFERENCES
- (Forthcoming) Hazal Papuccular, Türk Dış Politikasında Oniki Ada (1923-1947), İstanbul: Türkiye İş Bankası Kültür Yayınları.
- (Edited volume in progress) Hazal Papuccular and Deniz Kuru, A Transnational Account of Turkish Foreign Policy.
- Hazal Papuccular, Turkish-Italian Relations in the Interwar Period: Italian Mare Nostrum Policy and the Formulation of Turkish Foreign Policy in Response, Germany: Lambert Academic Publishing, 2010.
Chapters in Books:
- “Fragmented Memories: The Dodecanese Islands during the Second World War” in the Heritage and Memory of War: Perspectives from Small Islands, by Gilly Carr and Keir Reeves, New York, London: Routledge, 2015.
- “Boğazlar Rejimi: Askeri Güvenlik Söyleminden Çevresel Güvenlik Sorunsalına” in Türk Dış Politikasında Sorunlar ve Uluslararası Hukuk, Ankara: Seçkin Yayıncılık, 2012.
- “Italian Mare Nostrum Policy and the Formulation of the Interwar Turkish Foreign Policy in Response” in International Relations, Culture and Global Finance edited by Akis Kalaitzidis, Athens: Athens Institute for Education and Research, 2011.
- (SSCI) Hazal Papuççular, “Fragile Balances: Transfer of the Dodecanese Islands to Greece and Turkish Foreign Policy (1940-47),” Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19448953.2018.1406687
- Hazal Papuççular, “İki Savaş Arası Dönem Türk Dış ve Güvenlik Politikasında Oniki Ada, 1923-1939,” History Studies, (Aralık 2017).
- “The Greek-Turkish Conflict In The Aegean: Imagined Enemies” by Alexis Heraclides, v.8 (16), International Journal of Turcologia, Fall 2013.
- “Turkey in the 21st Century: Quest for a New Foreign Policy” by Özden Zeynep Oktav, Journal of American Studies of Turkey, September 2013.
- “Türk Fransız İlişkilerinde Hatay Sorunu, 1918-1939,” by Serhan Ada, with the title of “Bir ‘Sorun’un Anatomisi,” Radikal Kitap, 20 May 2013. (In Turkish)
- “Fezzes in the River: Identity Politics and European Diplomacy in the Middle East on the Eve of World War II” by Sarah D. Shields, New Perspectives on Turkey, No:45, Fall 2011.
- co-authored with Mine Tafolar, “Startling voyages: Syrian refugees at the borders of Europe,” in Hurriyet Daily News, 14 November 2013. (http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/startling-voyages-syrian-refugees-at-the-borders-of-europe.aspx?pageID=238&nID=57910&NewsCatID=396).
- Hazal Papuççular & Şahizer Samuk, “Aegean in Motion: Reasons, Consequences and Tragedies of Four Distinct Phases of Migration in the Aegean Sea”, Mediterranean in Motion, İzmir Turkey, 16-18 November 2017.
- Hazal Papuççular, “Bitmeyen Müzakere: İkinci Dünya Savaşı Sırasında Türkiye ve Oniki Ada,1939-1945,” Uluslararası Ege Adaları Sempozyumu, Türk Tarih Kurumu, İzmir, Turkey, 19-20 October 2017.
- Hazal Papuccular, (invited research seminar), “Fear of Invasion: Formation of Turkish Foreign Policy and Strategic Thinking in the Interwar Years,” Departmental Research Seminar Series, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary, 15 February 2017.
- Hazal Papuccular, (moderator), Rethinking Turkish Foreign Policy, A New Approach to Relations with the EU, Russia and the Middle East, (Panel of Heinrich Böll Stiftung), Istanbul Security Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 2-4 November 2016.
- Hazal Papuccular, (invited talk), “Ege Adalarının Devri ve Türkiye,” Siyaset Bilimi ve Kamu Yönetimi Söyleşileri, İstanbul Arel Üniversitesi, Istanbul, Turkey, 26 October 2016.
- Hazal Papuccular, “The Dodecanese Islands in Turkish Foreign and Security Policies in the Interwar Years,” First International Symposium on the Mediterranean World Studies, Eastern Mediterranean University, Nicosia, Cyprus, 20-21 October 2016.
- “Turkish Foreign Policy and the Dodecanese Islands, 1923-1945,”Turkey and Peace in the Balkans: Cultural and Commercial Diplomacy, Istanbul Chamber of Commerce, Istanbul, Turkey, 28-30 May 2014.
- “Fragmented Memories: The Dodecanese Islands during the Second World War,” ASN 2014, Columbia University, New York, USA, 24-26 April 2014.
- “Vague Maritime Boundaries and Sovereignties in the Sea: The Problems in the Aegean Archipelago (1923-1939),” Turkologentag 2014, Ludwig Maximilians-Universitat München, Germany, 11-14 February 2014.
- “Between the Islands and the Mainland: The Economic Relations of the Dodecanese with Turkey in the Interwar Period,” 6th Biennial Conference of Hellenic Observatory, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), the UK, 6-7 June 2013.
- “Dodecanese Islands in the Second World War: Islands of War, Hunger and Migration,” Islands of War, Islands of Memory Conference, McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, University of Cambridge, the UK, 5-7 April 2013.
- “Savaşın Eşiğinde Barış: Türk Dış Politikası ve Güvenlik Stratejisinde On iki Ada (1923-1947),” Siyasi İlimler Türk Derneği, 10. Lisansüstü Konferansı, ODTÜ, Ankara, Turkey, 16 December 2012.
- “The Academic Women in the Area of International Relations in Turkey,” 10th METU Conference on International Relations: Rethinking International Relations, Theory and Practice, Middle East Technical University, Turkey, Ankara, 15-17 June, 2011.
- “Italy in the Mediterranean: The Two-Tier Strategy of the Fascist Foreign Policy,” 2nd International Conference of Mediterranean Worlds: The Mediterranean of the Myths, the Myths of the Mediterranean, Istanbul, Turkey, June 3-6, 2010.
- “Italian Mare Nostrum Policy and the Formulation of the Interwar Turkish Foreign Policy in Response,” 3rd Annual International Conference on Mediterranean Studies, Athens, Greece, 31 March 2010, 1-3 April 2010.
- Turkish Foreign Policy
- Diplomatic History, History of International Relations
- Turkish Political History
- Political Geography
- 20th Century European History
- Mediterranean Politics and History
- Island Studies